Announcing the International Ragweed Day - June 24, 2017
Based on the proposition of allergologist Prof. Dr. Kristof Nekam and Dr. Tamas Komives the General Assembly of IRS (held in Ascona, Switzerland on October 6, 2011) proclaimed the first Saturday of the summer The International Ragweed Day (IRD) to increase understanding and awareness of the problem this invasive weed causes all over the world. The day was chosen because it is early in the growing season of the plant thereby gives enough time for preparations and actions.
We are inviting our members to take part in the organizing work.
GEO&GEO: Ambrosia near Milano with Maira Bonini
Leonardo: Smarter on Italian TV
External evaluation of SMARTER: highly successful Action
An external expert has evaluated SMARTER Action, based on the Final Action Report that was submitted concerning the entire duration of the Action.
The Action was valued a lot: "This was a highly successful action that contributed new understanding to the general problem of aggressive invasive species and more particularly proposed management schemes to limit the damage and spread of a particularly aggressive European invader. This combination of basic scientific knowledge and applied management schemes is one of the great strengths of this action."
Find here the full summary.
PhD studentship in aerobiology
The University of Worcester offers a number of research studentships each year. These are usually three-year, full-time doctoral research studentships. On project is on fungal spores while the second is on grass. Both projects involves traditional aerobiological methods using Burkard traps but also genomic approaches and drone technology.
The titles are:
- "Aerobiology: Detecting spatial and vertical concentrations of fungal spores in the atmosphere using bioinformatics and drone technology"
- " Aerobiology: Phenology of grass flowering at the species level"
The projects are announced here: http://www.worcester.ac.uk/discover/phd-studentships.html
Copyright 2009-2017 International Ragweed Society.
All rights reserved.
If you would like to be a member, please fill in the membership form!
13th Basic Course
From 17th to 24th of July 2017
Content, Registration, Accomodation
11th International Congress on Aerobiology
From 3rd to 7th of September 2018
Website of the congress
Recent literature on common ragweed is presented here.
"Ambrosia the first international ragweed review No. 29 - Summary"
Recent and upcoming meetings where ragweed-related problems are discussed.
1. Pollen is in the air: invasive plants and allergy in our changing environment. Brussels on March 5-6th, 2015
2. 3rd International Ragweed Conference. April 3-4, 2014, Milan, Italy
3. Ragweed as invasive plant. August 6-10, 2011, Honolulu, Hawaii
4. Environmental and invasive weeds. October 2-7, 2011, Ascona, Switzerland
5. Ragweed in agri-environment, September 20-22, 2011, Budapest, Hungary
6. Second International Ragweed Conference. March 28-29, 2012, Lyon, France. The conference closing remarks are readable here.
6. 25th German Conference on Weed Biology and Weed Control. March 13-15, 2012, Braunschweig, Germany.
7. First European Ecocycles Conference. July 22-26, 2013, Palermo, Italy.
Evaluated methods of ragweed control are listed here.
Ragweed pollen concentration map of Europe at the end of August is shown on this map.